Mother’s Day is almost here, folks. And you know what that means, right? It’s time for that annual, last-minute scramble to find a decent gift — a tradition you’ve grown accustomed to.
But despite your familiarity with procrastination, it rarely yields the best results in terms of the quality of gifts your mother receives. A few years ago, you happened to find a deal on a cooking class you and your mom could attend together, and obviously, that went down pretty well. But since then, you can’t help but feel that you’ve been letting her down. And between the department-store picture frames (which happen to be missing the key element of having a meaningful photo in them) and the Ann Taylor gift cards your mom has been gifted over the past few years, it’s clearly time to step up your game.
But how is this to be accomplished? You’ll never go back to a cooking class for as long as you live and you are completely out of other ideas!
As you could probably guess from the site you are visiting, our Mother’s Day gift solution is to rent an eBike in downtown Portland with her. It doesn’t have to be on Mother’s Day, per se, but that would make it all the better if it were!
So, for the remainder of today’s blog, we’ll highlight a few details about our Portland eBike rental options, why your mom is going to officially crown you with the title of “Favorite Offspring of All Time,” before wrapping things up with a feature on our eBike tour packages in Portland. Let’s get going!
Mom Rides Free on Mother’s Day!
We’ve forgotten perhaps the most important reason that you should rent an electric bike in Portland on Mother’s Day: moms ride free!
Now, before you get worried about your mom being able to handle riding an eBike, take a deep breath and read the following:
- eBikes are not meant to surpass 20 mph. While you might see some folks whizzing by at higher speeds, this is called “overvolting” an eBike. For the record, we’ve yet to see someone overvolt their eBike to go faster than 25 mph and not end up in the hospital as a result. All that being said, eBikes are intuitive and safe when the rider is attentive and cautious. If your mom can be described that way, you’ve really got nothing to worry about!
- Your motherly eBike rider will not have to pedal unless she wants to. If you are concerned about fitness levels affecting the quality of enjoyment, rest easy knowing that you don’t have to pedal on an eBike unless you feel like it. Just make sure you choose a throttle-activated eBike for your mom, which, unlike pedal-activated eBikes, do not require pedaling to engage the motor.
Electric Bike Riding Tips
So, let’s fast-forward and suppose that you’ve left your procrastinating ways behind, booked your eBike rentals for May 12th, 2019 (that’s Mother’s Day this year, in case you were wondering), and presented the gift to your mother. She feigns joy for 0.345 seconds before betraying her true feelings on the gift; she’s grateful but scared.
Bless her heart, her sin is one of ignorance. Luckily, you are equipped because you read this stunningly well-composed eBike blog from Portland’s original electric bike shop, The eBike Store. You are prepared to alleviate any and all fears your mom might have by offering up a few of these eBike safety tips:
- It’s a bike, so treat it like a bike – This might sound a bit simple, but it’s true. If your eBike rental party approaches the experience with a healthy dose of respect, there’s little reason to be afraid. Remember that crashes can happen on any bike, so ask your mother if she would be willing to ride a bike at all. If not, this was probably a bad idea in the first place and you should high-tail it to the nearest Eddie Bauer outlet store. If she would be, however, you can continue to read her this list!
- You are free to focus on what’s around you – At the risk of painting with too broad of a brush, many of our eBike renters aren’t exactly going to qualify for the Tour de France any time soon. And nor should they — they are simply trying to get outdoors and have a great time without exhausting themselves! Our point is this; when you aren’t devoting physical and mental energy to pedaling your bike, you are free to notice what’s going on around you. Your mother (and the rest of your party, for that matter) might be focused on operating the electric bike at first. Next comes paying attention to their environment, including traffic. Third and finally, you’ll be able to enjoy yourself, your party, and the lovely setting that Portland provides. It’s going to be great!
- Just be careful in general – Most moms we know won’t have too much trouble with this one. We would recommend simply being careful the entire time. But just because you are careful doesn’t mean you can’t have fun! Watch it on the mounts and dismounts, pay attention to the foot and car traffic around you, and brake a bit earlier than you would on a traditional bike. No sweat! (literally)
eBike Tours in Portland on Mother’s Day!
As promised, the final portion of today’s blog is a feature for our tours. If you’ve never ridden an eBike before, this is a great option because you’ll have a tour guide to help direct your entire experience. Plus, you’ll get the chance to explore like a local. We offer several different route options for you and your group to choose from:
- Downtown Portland & Washington Park Rose Garden Loop
- Springwater Corridor & Sellwood Loop
- Central Eastside & Mt. Tabor Park Loop
- N. Portland, St. John’s, & Cathedral Park Loop
- South Waterfront & Pearl District Loop
All of our Portland electric bicycle tours start and end at The eBike Store at 809 N. Rosa Parks Way, Portland, OR, 97217. They last 2 or 3 hours in length, cost $55 per person (except for Mom on Mother’s Day!), and include an eBike, helmet, and a tour guide. You must be 18 to join us on a tour.
For more information on eBike tours, our local guides, and why our tours are top-rated on Yelp and Google, don’t hesitate to visit our dedicated resource, linked above!
Book Your Mother’s Day eBike Rental Today!
At the end of the day, if you are looking for a unique and personal way to show your mom how much she means to you, an eBike tour is outdoorsy, out-of-the-box, and maybe just a wee bit challenging as well. Most people who have reservations will quickly overcome them and wind up having a wonderful time. Give us a call if you have and questions, or book your eBike rental today!